Writing for Direct Response requires a different approach as compared with regular retail radio advertising that focuses on developing a brand and image. While some of the same key approaches are required for any successful radio campaign, here are some of the essential elements a direct response radio script needs:
- Speak to the heart of the listener with a clear purpose to solve their problem. From the start, your commercial needs to be about the listener, not the product. How does your product or service provide benefit to them – their needs and desires
- Present the unique benefits of your product in relation to how it solves the listener’s problem. You may have a product that is similar to your competitor’s, thus you must present a compelling unique characteristic that sets you apart. You can focus attention on a characteristic or benefit that your competitor is not talking about. Competing products may be quite similar, thus the advertiser who communicates a unique benefit will set themselves apart
- Include a strong offer: A special limited time free trial, discount, risk free incentive, or low introductory price. You must communicate the idea that if people do not respond to your offer immediately, they will pay too much later or miss out. The stronger the offer, the stronger the appeal of your direct response radio copy, and the greater the response you will see
- Refer back to the benefits of the product later on in the script after drawing in the listener on a personal level after stating the offer. Repeat the offer in the CTA (Call to Action)
- Your Call to Action should be focused. A phone number repeated, or a website. Not both. Don’t give listeners an option to call or go to a website. The result will be fewer responses. Listeners should only be given one clear call to act
- Consider using Vanity 800 numbers and URLs
It’s that simple. Is your message and offer compelling enough for the listener to stop what they are doing and call you now? So, start thinking about what your company is, who you are trying to reach, what gives you an edge, what is your incentive – and then give us a call and we can put together a direct response media campaign structured to succeed!