1) It’s Targetable
Podcasts give advertisers the luxury of nailing down their target audience. Podcasters have the freedom to talk about any topic. From “new moms”, “wine and good food”, “health hacks”, “fancy cars” to “wilderness survival tactics”, you can find a plethora of podcasts that will reach your perfect customer.
2) Podcasts Provide a Word of Mouth Platform
When a listener’s favorite host reads the commercial, it’s just like a friend telling them to try your product. Listeners trust the host and value their opinion. Also, many podcasters will provide added value and include your product on their website or mention you in their trusted blogs.
Podcasters typically are not restricted by time and when segments need to start and end. They can be as long or short as it takes. Because of this, you can get improved and nontime restricted content.
4) Podcast Listeners don’t Skip your Ads
Podcast followers are less likely to skip your ad because they are loyal and attentive to the show. Ads are typically read in the beginning, middle and sometimes end of the show. Listeners want to hear the show and often the ads are integrated in such a way that they sound like they are part of the content.
5) The “Untouchables” are Listening
Those 18-34 cord cutters and ad blockers are listening to podcasts now more than ever. The research shows that they actually listen to the ad, too.
6) You can Better Measure your ROI
The most popular way to track success are through unique checkout codes, vanity URL’s offered in the ad or a drop-down menu with a selection of sources from which they “heard the ad”. While not flawless, they offer a few easy ways to gauge how your podcasts are performing on each specific show.
7) Your Commercial is Evergreen
Most podcasts embed your commercial in their podcasts and it will be heard anytime a listener downloads the specific show you were in. Some loyal listeners listen each week to their show, but many download and save the show to listen in the future. Listeners continue to hear your commercial weeks, months and even years after your paid run. That can mean free impressions and increased results long after your schedule has ended.
8) Over 80% of Listeners can Recall your Brand
Midroll did a recall study and found that listeners:
- 80% could recall at least one advertiser in each episode
- 67% could recall a specific offer or promo
- 51% were more likely to buy the featured brand in the show
9) You can Easily Test Different Offers
Because hosts record their shows typically on a weekly basis, you can change your offer as needed each week. It’s a great platform to test new offerings and new promotions without “production” costs, if the hosts are reading your commercial in the show.
If you are ready to include podcasts in your plan this year, here’s what you should consider:
- You should plan on testing with at least $10k a month.
- Be prepared to pay cpm’s of $15 to $20 per commercial.
- You need to be open to testing different podcasts that reach your target audience.
- We suggest giving each show a minimum of 4 weeks.
- Be ready to send out your product to the host so they can try it and get familiar with it before they read your spot.
- Some hosts will be more effective at endorsing your product than others.
Bottom line, podcasts are working and brands like Audible and Blue Apron are just a few of the advertisers who have jumped on board and are realizing the great potential of podcasts. Isn’t it time that you got into the mix?
Our seasoned team at Media Partners Worldwide can help you get started.
Reach out to us at 800-579-3031 or email me at email@example.com.